The 2022-2023 AGSC/Alabama Transfers Annual Report is now available here.

Speech Pathology

Speech pathology involves the study, diagnosis, and treatment of disorders that relate to speech, language, swallowing, fluency, voice, and communication. A speech pathologist helps people who struggle with speech disorders because of developmental delays, stroke, brain injuries, learning disabilities, mental retardation, cerebral palsy, hearing loss, and other problems that can affect speech. People who experience problems with stuttering, speaking clearly, swallowing, and other tasks that make speech challenging can receive the services of a speech pathologist in order to overcome such obstacles. By using standardized tests and assessment tools, the speech pathologist has the ability to diagnose specific problems of each patient. After diagnosing the problem, the speech pathologist devises a treatment plan that suits the needs of each specific patient that needs assistance.

Speech pathology is a career field that can be practiced in a variety of settings. Some professionals in speech pathology may work in schools, while others work in an office or medical setting. Speech pathologists may even visit their patients' homes in order to offer their services. If a person desires to work in the speech pathology field, he or she must first earn a master's degree in Speech Pathology. If the student earns a degree from a university or college accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology, he or she will find it easier to obtain a license as a speech pathologist.


Speech Pathology Committee Members

NOTE: Not all institutions have members on committees. For a four-year institution to have a member on a Professional Academic Committee (PAC), they must have at least one major in the discipline area (verified by the ACHE Academic Program Inventory). The two-year institutions are allowed to name up to two non-voting members to serve on the committee. Four-year members of academic committees are appointed by the Institution's Point of Contact. Two-year non-voting members are appointed by the Alabama Community College System office. For more information about the PACs, click here.

Acting Chairperson

4-Year Voting Members

2-Year Non-Voting Members